Thursday, January 06, 2011

Want to Make a Difference? Encourage!

My *cough* daily *cough* devotions lately have been in the book of Hebrews, and I picked up this little nugget of wisdom that has really moved me.
Hebrews 3: 12 - 14
See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the Living God.  But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.  We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end of the confidence we had at first.
I have seen a number of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ struggle with their sin on a daily basis, but instead of getting involved with the "sharing your burdens" process, I go straight to prayer.  I'm not belittling prayer here, but I feel confident that none of us become children of God because of prayer alone.  In countless passages, we are called to be active and alive with our faith.  Instead of prayer, we are called to be encourage those who are struggling.

Think of the times you received an unexpected e-mail, or better yet, a card or letter.  No matter what mood you were in before, you realize the greatest gift isn't the card or the words of encouragement, but that fact that you have been thought of a loved by someone.

I am taking these verse seriously this year and I want to become the encourager that I know God has already formed me into; and guess what - I'm also asking you to do the same.  Continue praying for your struggling friends and family, but incorporate the active and living love of Christ.  Get involved in overcoming sin's deceitfulness, which is guilt-ridden message of unbelief and is absent love.  You might find that same much needed encouragement will come back to you in your darker hours.

--Insert corny,stereotypical happy picture here--


No comments: