Thursday, March 05, 2009

Prayer Devotional, Day 1

My friend Thomas runs InterVarsity-Binghamton's prayer ministry. He decided to take this week to (with the help of the Holy Spirit, as he's quick to add) write and send out devotionals to the fellowship, all of them centering around prayer. They've been helpful to me, so I got his permission to repost them here in case they're helpful to you. Here's the one from the first day:


"One thing I ask of the Lord,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to seek him in his temple."

Psalm 27:4

Remembering your own prayers, ask yourself the following questions:

-How have I been more concerned with the sound of my prayers than with the One who hears them?

-How have I prayed to a god fashioned by my own imagination and wishes, instead of the Creator of all things?

Your relationship with God is worth investing in. Learn to understand Him in prayer. Learn to hunger for God first, as David did in Psalm 84:
"My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God."


Today:
1. Find somewhere quiet.
2. Read Isaiah 40.
3. Meditate on His character and what it means to know Him.
4. In your own words and from your own heart, pray David's prayer in Psalm 27:4 (see above).
5. For the rest of the day...choose your favorite worship song that speaks to you about your relationship with Christ and who He is. As a form of prayer and worship, sing (or hum or just play it in your head if you really can't sing) this to God throughout your day - remembering Him in all things.

happy praying.

No comments: