Monday, January 25, 2010

Week 4 - C.S. Lewis: The Great Divorce

Every week, I’ll be investigating into different aspects of the Christian faith using a variety of resources when possible. If you’re looking for something to study this week as well, please feel free to join – either in secret or through your own posting. I’ll be posting all of my findings on Saturday, but you are free to do so whenever you want. (If you want to post and are currently not an author, my e-mail is to the right if you are viewing this from r2r. If you’re viewing this from Facebook, contact me there though any means.)
* * * * *
Even though I was really busy last week, I was able to find a lot of verses about money and some of the elusive verses on tithing. From the feedback I've received, it sounds like this Investigation of the Week thing is starting to catch on, which is good because I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon.

This week, the men's group I'm a part of has issued a challenge to (attempt to) understand a fraction of a C.S. Lewis chapter or quote of our choice. Being no less than ambitious, I have selected The Great Divorce, with an emphasis, but not limited to Chapter 9 for those keeping track at home. This is my first time reading through this particular book by C.S. Lewis. Since becoming a Christ Follower, I have read through (but not very thoroughly) Mere Christianity, Screwtape Letters, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Problem of Pain and Miracles in that order. Never have I attempted with Scripture to dig up the most meaning possible, so this should be a very challenging week for me.

Feel free to play along by reading The Great Divorce with me, or picking up another C.S. Lewis book and playing along.

I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell; and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself.

~C.S. Lewis - Preface to The Great
Divorce
, written in April 1945

1 comment: