Monday, January 18, 2010

Week 3 - Money and Tithes

Every week, I’ll be investigating into different aspects of the Christian faith using a variety of resources when possible. If you’re looking for something to study this week as well, please feel free to join – either in secret or through your own posting. I’ll be posting all of my findings on Saturday, but you are free to do so whenever you want. (If you want to post and are currently not an author, my e-mail is to the right if you are viewing this from r2r. If you’re viewing this from Facebook, contact me there though any means.)
* * * * *
So far, I've been impressed with the last two weeks worth of investigation. It has brought me back to my early college days where Scripture for me was new, fresh and exciting to read. Even though I've read the Bible all the way though, and some books dozens of times, there are still portions of the Bible that blow my mind. It's my prayer that this attitude and discovery continue as I look into my new investigation.

This week, it's all about the money. Last week in the Psalms, I mentioned that God gives us purpose by making us stewards of the physical world and the life in it. If you don't know already, I really enjoy observing and watching people. One of the observations that I have and keep coming back to is how people use their money. From a small handful of Scriptures that come to mind, God has some big ideas about how Christ-Followers should distribute the hard-earned money they earn. So, I will be looking into that. Additionally, I want to look into the purpose of tithing - is it practical financially or spiritually anymore? And recent, I learned about the so called "graduated tithe." Is this type of tithing a fad of today or does it fall into the same category as the normal tithe?

I have no starting points this week - and I'm not quite sure what my outside resource is going to be either. If you have anything I should look into, feel free to leave comments or post about it if you're an author. Good luck!

No comments: