Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Simple Impact

I had been at my new summer home for about a week when I met a girl who would end up making a lasting impression. This girl and my reaction to her can be easily described by 2 Corinthians 9:13-15 and the surrounding context (see 2 Corinthians 9:6-15).

Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift!

This friend of mine had no obligation to generously offer her home and her dear friends. She had about as much time left in the rolling fields of Washington as I did. She was preparing to embark on a new stage of life, and yet, she continued to build new relationships, generously give, and share her love for Christ until the very end. I am not sure that I have ever met someone my age who has so humbly and powerfully displayed this type of love. In a matter of just a few days I learned more about hospitality, generosity, and genuineness than I had over the course of two decades.

I am sharing this testimony as a reminder and encouragement about the impact we, as followers of Christ, can so easily make in the lives of others. Special treatment and extraordinary actions are not required. We simply have to give with a cheerful heart and with a desire to share, even with those who happen stumble into our lives, all that God has given us.

No comments: